Originally Posted By: Skinny
Common misconception that these guys control or get a peice of every book in their area. Ill be the first to say, i dont know shit about chicago. So who knows, maybe its completely ass backwards from here. But i can think of about a dozen locals in north jersey (mostly morris, passaic, middlesex co), white suburban guys, some italian even. Most actually haha. That dont pay shit. I can think of guys that do tho too. But im saying, not all get taxed. And this is NJ.... An area with like what 7 families? Chicago has one? For the whole city? I mean there was a guy in Rockaway who ran 2 joker poker halls. You know the ones that call themselves lottery cafes or whatever? The guy was a fuckin skinhead biker. Nobody got a peice of that. Idk i mean it goes on a lot, guys just say fuck it, give up their sheets than pay a few k a month.... Just not on this huge daily scale of shakedowns.

The question is, how big are these independent bookies you speak of? Another question is, why is it almost unheard of (even in this day and age) to see a sports betting bust in the Tri-state area that doesn't involve the mob in some way? Some have responded that law enforcement only goes after the mob-connected bookies because it makes for better headlines but I've never believed that. It's not like they're going to allow a guy, who's taking significant action, to operate freely just because he's not mobbed up.

As for Chicago, while there's far less bookmaking busts there, all the ones going back over a decade have been connected to the Outfit in some way.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 04/09/13 10:55 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.