Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Just watched the first episode of the new series....and i still have no clue as to what is going on tongue It is very good though!!

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
i really enjoy this show. i love all the medieval stuff! the only problem i have, is that its very hard for me to keep up with all of the different kingdoms/alliances. it might be partly my fault though, as even though i have seen all of the episodes, i was only a casual viewer for all of season 1 and into the beginning of season 2.

tongue (Cracks knuckles) Well since you asked.... lol

It would take a very very long time to explain everything and likely bore people to tears.
It would probably bore me and I love the freaking books/show.

To make a very long story a little less long...

It's about a war of succession that takes place in a environment similar to Europe and surrounding regions circa 1400's. The author based parts of his story on the Hundred Years War and especially the War of The Roses. There are some "good" guys but not a lot. There are a lot more bad guys but most people are somewhere in between.

The primary battling families are the Starks (mostly good, close stand-ins for the Yorks, similar to Scots/Northumbrians) and the Lannisters (mostly bad, stand-ins for the Lancasters)

The previous king was murdered by his wife. The new king's son actually has no right to the throne as he is a product of incest between his mother (a Lannister) and her brother. He doesn't know this but wouldn't care if he did. He's a psychotic. The previous king's best friend and right-hand man( Ned Stark) discovered the incest but got out maneuvered by the court treasurer and executed by incest-boy at the end of season 1.

Of course the Starks aren't gonna take this lying down. They seceded and started a war. They are being led by Ned Stark's teen son, Robb. So far he's won every battle but has made some political mistakes and is no closer to reaching the capital, rescuing his sisters and bringing the pain to Joffrey Lannister. He and his mother Catelyn have also recently had something of a falling out.

Joffrey Lannister's parentage was known to the dead king's middle brother (Stannis), who launched his own war for the crown but was (temporarily) defeated. Stannis has swtiched religions. Other leading families are either staying neutral or lining up behind either the Starks or Lannisters, depending on what's best for them. Most people are SEVERELY self-interested.

In the background there is a growing magical threat to all humanity mostly offstage while the last scion of a regime deposed 20 years ago, a teen girl (Daenerys), is overseas gathering soldiers to take back what she sees as her rightful throne. Meanwhile spymasters and court treasurers scheme to one-up each other and take down their rivals.

That's an extremely attentuated summary, believe it or not.. wink

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.