Originally Posted By: Bennie_The_Ball
Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: WestBaltimore96

Interesting word that can be describe as a racial slur towards blacks, but the word's actual meaning is Italian dialect for eggplant, and I love eggplant!!

Find me an Italian that refers to an eggplant as moulinyan. Eggplant is melanzana and that's what Italians call it.

And which Italian dialect are you referring to? Which region? Thanks.

It's actually Neapolitan and it means black, not eggplant. You know how shit gets mixed up.

Yes, I know how "shit gets mixed up". It's an Italian American word. Eggplant is melanzana. Period. In Sicilian, they will pronounce it with a "j" sound in there, so it comes out as "melangiana", but that's Sicilian dialect. Other regions will say it with a different accent, but people in Naples are not going around saying moulinyan for black. I promise you.

The word is meant to be a racial slur and it's used by Italian Americans ala Tony Soprano, like someone mentioned above.

edit: well I asked my husband just now and he said, the word "mulignana" is used by some Italians as a way to refer to black people. I guess that's where the Italian American word, moulinyan came from. No matter what, though, it's a racial term.

Last edited by carmela; 04/02/13 02:56 PM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.