Pontiac — The daughter of 75-year-old Sandra Layne said her mother "got what she deserved" minutes after a jury convicted her of second-degree murder in the shooting death of her 17-year-old grandson.

Jennifer Hoffman, the mother of Jonathan Hoffman, who died after Layne shot him six times, called her mother "a monster."

"I know my son is in heaven and that is a place she will never see," Jennifer Hoffman said.

After eight hours of deliberations over two days, an Oakland County Circuit Court jury of seven women and five men found the West Bloomfield grandmother guilty of second-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

As the guilty verdicts were read, Layne rocked back and forth in her chair and began sobbing as her attorney attempted to comfort her.

Other members of her family, including her 87-year-old husband, Fred, clutched one another and wept.

Chief assistant prosecutor Paul Walton tilted his head back in apparent relief.

And Michael and Jennifer Hoffman, the divorced parents of the victim, smiled at one another across an aisle.

Outside the courtroom Michael Hoffman said, "I'm thrilled."

A dazed Layne was led back to jail by a half-dozen deputies. She will be sentenced April 8.

Under sentencing guidelines she is expected to be sentenced to a minimum of 12 years for second-degree murder and must serve a separate mandatory two-year sentence for the firearms conviction.

A 14-year sentence means she would be nearly 90 years old before she would be released from prison.

Grandmother kills Grandson

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.