Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
I'm not a theologian, but generally knowingly and intentionally covering up the crimes of a mass-murder like Vincent is generally considered a pretty terrible sin.

Look, Nicky, I understand where you're coming from. Gangsterism and hypocrisy go hand and hand. I wouldn't piss on most of these guys if they were on fire. But in this particuclar case, Priests take a vow to take people at their word, in the confessional and elsewhere. So who's to say that Vincent didn't tell his brother something like, "I'm a gambler but not a killer." He would have to believe him even if he wasn't his brother.

And to make a family analogy, what mother doesn't believe her son in such an instance? I mean, I made some terrible mistakes as a younger guy thirty years ago. I looked my mother in the eye and said, "It's not true, Ma." She chose to believe me because it was less painful than the reality. I'm only making this correlation because it can be the same with brothers. Perhaps Father Lou made himself believe Vincent because the reality was too painful.

I know the man all my life, and I just personally believe that he believed that his brother wasn't what the media and the FBI said he was. Not because Vince wasn't a murderer, but because Vince told him he wasn't a murderer.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.