http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you...e-29116901.html

TOM BRADY, CORMAC MCQUINN AND FERGUS BLACK – 08 MARCH 2013

A YOUNG man has been shot and seriously injured in the third gun attack this week.

The 20-year-old was shot several times in a housing estate in Clondalkin, west Dublin, at around 7pm yesterday.

The victim, who is believed to be from the Ronanstown area, was taken to Tallaght Hospital where his condition was last night described as serious.

A local woman who called the emergency services after the shooting said the young man was leaning into a car window at Moorefield Avenue when a number of shots rang out and he fell backwards.

"I think he must have known them because he was leaning in and talking to the people inside," she told the Irish Independent.

"I said to my son to run over, they're after shooting him. I called an ambulance and I went over to see if he was alive. They (the emergency services) asked me to check his pulse to see if he was alive. I checked and said I thought he was but to send somebody quick.

"This is the second young fellow to get shot around here. We're sick of it. It's getting worse."

A car which may have been used as a getaway vehicle was found in the Woodview area nearby. Gardai at Ronanstown have appealed for anyone with information to contact them.

Dissident

Last night's shooting was the third gun attack – two of them fatal – in a week.

Only 24 hours earlier, leading dissident republican Peter Butterly (35) was shot dead outside the Huntsman Inn in Gormanston, Co Meath.

And on Sunday, criminal Paul Cullen (26) was shot dead as he sat drinking in the Cabra House pub in Fassaugh Avenue in Cabra, northwest Dublin.

A masked man burst into the public house in front of terrified patrons at the venue also knows as the Oasis and fired numerous shots at the target. It was speculated that Cullen was killed over a drug debt dating back as far as 2007.

killed for 'pocketing funds'