Originally Posted By: 22
No big deal he[Borgesi] allegedley stiffed Bruce Cutler,you can't tell me these guys have that kind of money laying around.Maybe they work out deals like if the lawyer gets you off think what that does for his business.Then again if he doesn't he may get stiffed and it doesn't help him very much.

Your right 22, i forgot all about that. George said Cutler didn't do shit for him so he told him what he could do with his lawyer fees. Did Cutler try to sue him? Or did he know it was a waste of time trying to collect?

Here's part of a old City Paper article where it's mentioned.

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/072601/news.mob.shtml?print=1

"Last Friday afternoon when the verdict was announced, defense attorney Bruce Cutler was mysteriously missing from the courtroom. Cutler is the very theatrical hotshot lawyer from New York who is best known for representing Gambino crime boss John Gotti.

In the Merlino trial Cutler represented Georgie Borgesi.

Several mob insiders told City Paper that Borgesi felt that Cutler wasn’t prepared for the case. Cutler’s fee was rumored to be $250,000, a percentage of which Borgesi paid upfront. But mob insiders said that Borgesi told Cutler he wouldn’t pay him the remainder of his fee and that Cutler left Philadelphia in a huff.

"Borgesi felt he paid Cutler what he was worth. He paid Cutler for his opening and his closing remarks," joked one friend of Borgesi’s during an interview in an Old City restaurant Friday night.

Borgesi’s friend claimed that some other defendants were so annoyed with Cutler’s theatrics in the courtroom that they were joking to friends and family, "Did you hear Bruce Cutler saved two guys from death row in New York? Yeah, he didn’t take their case!"

A prominent Philadelphia civil defense attorney who watched Cutler in the courtroom but asked to remain anonymous said, "Cutler is a great attorney because he is a great actor. Look at how the jury, the whole courtroom even, can’t keep their eyes off him when he’s cross-examining a witness. He is a very effective attorney, and he helped undermine the credibility of the government witnesses in this case."

The mob insiders praised the rest of the defense attorneys for their part, singling out Eddie Jacobs, Jack McMahon, Chris Warren and Emmett Fitzpatrick. "Jacobs led the charge," said Borgesi’s friend. "He did a great job and so did some of the others, but Cutler wasn’t prepared, and Georgie told him so."

Reached by telephone at his New York apartment Wednesday morning, Cutler said there was no truth to this story.

"Georgie Borgesi is a good man and I’ll always help him. We’re on great terms."

Cutler said he had to be in New York the day of the verdict and asked co-counsel Lou Natale to represent Borgesi that day.

Another Philadelphia defense attorney who has handled an number of "mob" cases, said "I heard that Borgesi won’t pay Cutler… and a lot of the wiseguys are laughing about it. But it sets a very bad precedent. Who wants a client that’s going to welsh on the fee? A lot of defense attorneys will think twice before they take a case from these guys now. Plus I think Cutler did a great job. And remember that there are a lot of Gambino members in federal prison. And when Borgesi runs into them, they may not think the whole thing is so funny."