Originally Posted By: FrankMazola
I have never understood how the 5 families operate in Florida. I don't know what parts of Tampa and Southern Florida they operate and what their major operations are. I mean it's just sort of weird there's no recruiting pool, no roots down there etc… like it seems pretty hard to shake down a union if you're from outta town. I'd like to learn more about Cosa Nostra in Florida; I'm fairly ignorant of their operations..

The NY families operate mainly in the Miami/South Florida area. Florida has always been a vacation spot for people from the Northeast, including mobsters. It seems that as the Trafficante family's influence began to fade, the NY guys didn't really need to check with Santo in order to operate down there. You can read first hand accounts from guys like Joe Dogs Iannuzzi, George Freselone, etc. Mob guys have been running scams down there for years. They're also into the nightclub scene. Their gambling networks extend down there. Drugs, of course. The Genovese family had a few Miami ILA locals. The Gambinos moved in on the valet business. And so on.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.