GANGLAND murder victim Philip O'Toole was believed to have been set up by former associates after falling foul of a mob boss known as 'the Gutter Man'.

Gardai arrested a man in Wicklow yesterday and are questioning him in relation to the killing.
The body of the criminal, from Bray, Co. Wicklow, was found dumped in a ravine in Trooperstown, Co. Wicklow, on Friday following a tip-off to gardai.
He went missing on January 7.

Gunpoint -

It is believed he willingly met his killers and was taken to the area at gunpoint before being shot in the head.

Speaking after the body was discovered, his father Brendan said they have not stopped looking for him since the day he went missing.
"I had been looking in every field, ditch and pipe. Last Sunday, I was up searching in Trooperstown for him. I would have been just 200 metres away from him. I probably passed by him," he said.

Brendan appealed for people to come forward with information on his son's death, adding: "Please, I'm asking as his father, have it in your heart and come for-
ward. I want to get justice for my son."

O'Toole survived a gun attack in 2011 when he was shot in the stomach in the Kilgarron Park area of Enniskerry, shortly after his release from prison. He was serving a four-year sentence for possession of a sawn-off shotgun.

In the weeks after that shooting sinister graffiti appeared around Bray making threats against O'Toole and his associates.
Thugs then opened fire on O'Toole's father's house using a Mac10 machine pistol
"They opened fire on my house with a machine gun last September," said Brendan O'Toole, pointing to the bullet holes in the front of his home in Bray.

Miracle -

"They put 27 bullets into my house.

There were children in the house at the time and five people here altogether. It was a miracle nobody was killed."

It is believed O'Toole was targeted by associates of criminal Brendan Kinlan,aka 'the Gutter Man', who was arrested in the UK in November after being caught with €2m worth of amphetamines.

Kinlan is originally from Bray and is believed to be involved in supplying drugs to the Wicklow area. O'Toole, who had almost 40 convictions including drugs convictions, was also questioned over a shooting in Finglas in 2010.

Glen McGrath (40), was shot and seriously injured near the Cappagh Nua pub on the Barry Road in Finglas on December 30 but survived.

Philip's dad said he.did not want to talk about his son's "business", but hoped it would not put people off coming forward with information.

"I can't talk about that side of things, except to say he never talked to me about his business," Brendan said. "He was a good lad. He was well liked. He phoned his mother every day.

Sources told the Sunday World Philip had fallen out with a local drugs gang.

Emenies -

"He had made a bid to go out on his own in the drugs business and he made dangerous enemies," a source said.
Kinlan ( 41), from Bray, appeared in court in the UK after crashing a van on the Ml motorway with €2m worth of drugs.

It is understood his incarceration in Armley Prison in Leeds had left a vacuum in the Bray drugs scene, causing tensions to ratchet up a notch,

Philip O'Toole, who had a seven-month-old baby, knew his life was under threat and relocated after he was shot.

"He was hiding in Arklow," Brendan said, "Nobody knew he'd gone, he kept it very quiet, However, he had moved to Arklow as he was becoming worried about his safety,"
"When last seen, he was driving a blue BMW car with the reg 99-D-88221. This car was located by Gardai on the Lower Dargle Road, Bray, on January 9.

His family are relieved to have found the body and he is no longer one of the 'gangland disappeared' - people murdered and disposed of by professional criminals.

One of the most notorious cases from the annals of gangland history is the murder of Jock Corbally in 1996.

He was beaten and tortured before being buried,possibly still alive, in a field in Co. Kildare.

PJ 'the Psycho' Judge, who was shot dead in 1997, is thought to have carried out the murder after Corbally beat him up on the street.

In 2008, gang boss David 'Baby Face' Lyndsay and Alan Napper disappeared.

A feud started because Micka Kelly owed them money. It's believed that in July that year Kelly lured them north of the border, where they were both killed and dumped in the Irish Sea.

Evidence -

Christopher 'Git' Gilroy is believed to have disappeared in Spain in 2009. He was believed to have carried out the 2009 murders of Michael 'Roly' Cronin and James Maloney in Summerhill, Dublin, on behalf of Eamon 'the Don' Dunne.

Drug addict Gilroy was manipulated into carrying out the killings, but left vital forensic evidence behind.

However, 'the Don' was anxious not to leave any loose ends and Gilroy's fate was sealed.
There have also been a number of people who had no involvement in crime but crossed paths crossed with dangerous gangsters, with lethal consequences.