The feds can actually wait until after the state case to try him. You can be tried by both the state and the feds for the same crime (double jeop doesnt apply).

If they are empaneling grand jury, its not necessarily any different with respect to discovery. Grand jury is a prosecution show. Defense attorneys are not permitted to ask any questions or make any objections or present any witnesses.

His prelim is set for Feb 20th so if judge finds there is enough evidence to go forward (which she most likely will) then he will be officially charged (indicted) and the case goes forward. They dont have to wait for the grand jury for the case to proceed. The grand jury often continues to investigate and then if they decide they can add more charges through a superseding indictment.

"Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas. . . . Goodfellas kill goodfellas." ~ Salvatore Profaci in bugged NJ mob lawyer Sal Avena's office

“This was the Volkswagen of racketeering charges” ~ Def. Attorney Ed Jacobs, Jr.

"Meanwhile, I got the uncle who wants me out of the way.... Great family, aren't they? This is what it's all about." ~Louis "Bent-Finger Louie" Monacello

"It was a wholesale annihilation.... How many times do they want to be beat? Because I'm frankly getting tired of it. They went fishing for Joe Ligambi, and the jury gave them Gary Battaglini.” ~ Def Atty Christopher Warren