Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Jimmythepen
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'm just saying that for all of the above reasons, Italian-American organized crime is a terrible career choice today. It's all over but the shouting.

I see your viewpoint but there are quite a number of people who will disagree with that, and with good reason.

Plenty of people disagree with that viewpoint. No argument there. But with "good" reason? I don't think so.

I'm not being preachy. People know me here. I'm 53 years old and grew up with this stuff all my life. And God only knows I've made plenty of my own mistakes as a younger guy. But the life is so different today than when I was a kid, I can't possibly see any "good" reason to pursue it. The perks are gone and the downside is far too great.

I know you on here myself as mainly a lurker and I respect you, no doubt about that but it's about opinions. See and I can't say things from a personal perspective as I don't have that 'luxury' either.

But if you are talking about the life in general then it's still got pull. It's still got appeal. As much as a few decades ago? Of course not. The perks you talk about again aren't as great as they once were but they haven't evaporated.

It's a simplistic argument on my behalf, admittedly. When you talk about the downsides not being worth it, I feel that's a bit of a weird issue, in honesty. The fear say, 30 years ago of fucking up was a couple in the back of the head. That fear is no where near as strong anymore. I mean it's been nearly four years since a made guy was whacked in NYC.

Then the other downside is, of course, jail and the whole cavalcade of nonsense the process brings. A sentence to life in prison is arguably worse than a death penalty. See but then I'd say the Feds are more happier now to offer plea deals. Of course LCN is still rat infested which negates some of the downside, as wrong as I feel it is.

So my view is, and to be honest I don't 100% agree with it, there is still money to be made, respect to be had, a life to be lived. Again, not as well as a while ago but it's still there. And the fear of being whacked isn't there as much and prosecution is different now.

I'm just offering a different view, it's not gospel of course and as I said, I don't even know if I agree with it myself. I don't think it's totally preposterous though.