Originally Posted By: Lilo
It seems like he really took offense at her telling him adios. Maybe he thought she was mocking his accent or presuming familiarity. In any event it was a mistake on her part. I thought he overreacted a bit by doubling the bail. But of course the critical error on her part, besides possibly being high, was then cursing at the judge. Not a good idea. So the contempt charge was obvious.

I haven't had much reason to be in front of judges rolleyes but I don't like the idea of someone being able to double your bail because they didn't like that you said "adios". But those are the breaks. She will have 30 days to think about her mistakes.. whistle

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/did-you-say-f...cursing-at-him/

Judges are given considerable discretion in imposing bail. Of course, there are state and federal constitutional provisions protecting defendants from excessive bail. I don't have a problem with her bail getting jacked up. She was showing complete disrespect during her appearance, and the adios remark was unduly flippant at best and a racial dig at worst. The court would have the discretion to increase bail for this.

To post bail, a defendant can hire a bondsman and pay a small percentage to him in exchange for the bondsman's promise to pay bail if the defendant fails to appear, so in reality the bail increase would have likely cost her a couple hundred bucks more, or perhaps nothing if hr parents had property in the county they could post.

But with the contempt sentence it is best that she not post bail for 30 days because she's still going to sit in jail anyway. As long as she doesn't post bail she's eligible to have her contempt time also act as as time served for the underlying criminal offense.