Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
There was a shooter in the hit on Galante that the other shooters called Sal twice.

"In the back Sally" and then something like "Get Him Sal". Was that Sal Catalano?

If it wasn't Catalano then who was the shooter the others called Sal? Anybody know?

Well, if we go by Frank Lino´s testimony for example, five guys were directly involved in the Galante murder. Santo Giordano was most likely the getaway driver. His fingerprints were found in the getaway car, on the inside of the window at the drivers side when the car was located. Also Anthony Bruno Indelicato´s fingerprints were later found inside the car which helped convict him in the Commission case.
Four men exited the car and one of them stayed outside Joe and Mary´s while the other three went inside. Frank Lino claimed that the three men were Dominick Trinchera, Anthony Bruno Indelicato and Russell Mauro. Lino said that Trinchera was the one who threathened the restaurant staff (and according to policeinvestigation, the man who said "in the backyard, Sal"). Indelicato was the one who shot Turano and Coppolla to death, while Mauro was the actual shooter of Galante, assisted by Bonventre (one of two Galante bodyguards that day) who also fired one or two shots into Galante´s body.
So who was this Sal? Well, my own theory is that "Sal" was actually a nickname for Mauro, derived from his first name Russell. I haven´t seen any mentions of Mauro being nicknamed "Sal" anywhere, but if you think about it, it is plausible. Another theory is that the witness, when questioned by the police right after the murder, simply lied about the name. This is fully understandable for more than one reasons.
I´m not sure, but none of the later Bonanno turncoats mentions Sal Catalano as being on the scene. But he was most likely involved with the murder in some way. One interesting fact is that Cesare Bonvente, Baldo Amato and Catalano went into hiding after the hit probably to escape LE. Catalano went to Sicily and stayed there for five months. During his stay in Sicily, Catalano got married, if memory serves me right.

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: Skinny_Vinny
btw- Cesare Bonventre died in Maspeth Queens.

Still trying to find out where he lived and if his son got into "the life".

Bonventre´s address was listed at 2042 83rd Street in Brooklyn. I think that´s in the Bensonhurt section.
There is a Giaccomo "Jack" Bonventre (born in 1966?) listed as a Bonanno member, but I doubt very much that he is Cesare´s son. If the date of birth is 1966, Cesare would have been in his teens when Jack was born.

Did Bonventre have more then one son? Because according to an old article in Time Magazine Bonventre's widow gave birth to their only son after he was murdered.

So if he had a son that was born earlier then that it must of been with someone else besides his wife.

I think he had only one son. The Jack Bonventre mentioned by me in the post above, is not the son of Cesare but the son of Antonio, another Bonanno made member.

There were a lot of Bonventres involved with the Bonanno Family throughout the Family´s history dating back to the early 1900s. All of them hailed from Castellamare del Golfo and they were probably all related to eachother in one way or the other. There were three Vito Bonventres, one of them killed in 1930. Other Bonventres were Anthony (also killed in 1930), Giuseppe, Giovanni (John), Martin (made in the 1950s and son of Peter, the uncle of Joe Bonanno who had offered Bonanno a job as a baker, mentioned in Bonanno´s memoirs) and the father and son, Antonio and Jack, mentioned above.

[Linked Image]