Wanted to pull this back up because I finally read the Dominick part of "Stolen Valor," which, frankly, is not that impressive. The authors first summarize the Dom stories from "Murder Machine," then say they call Capeci...

Capeci's on deadline, curt, says he'll call back and never does.

They call Gene Mustain, however, and he's interested, listens to their doubts about Dom's story-- esp. his length of training, age in Nam etc-- and Mustain takes it from there, even flying to reunion of the LRPP ("Lurp") unit Dom said he served in. THEY don't recognize his photo, say he got the battle at Dak To all wrong etc... Okay.

So what DID Dom do in the Army and Nam? Some have taken the "Stolen Valor" schtick to mean he wasn't in the Army at all, the whole fucking thing was a ruse but I find that extremely unlikely...

While it's likely or even almost certain Dom has embellished his service record, the idea it's a complete fabrication doesn't wash.

Q: Would Walter Mack and Dept of Justice gone along with or instigated that cover up from the start?

Q: Would not Nino's lawyers have seized on this if his record was an obvious fraud?

I'm not expert in searching Viet Nam era military records but I have to believe there's proof Dom served somewhere-- contemporary Brooklyn newspaper or casualty/commendation reports... the latter of which it does NOT sound like the "Stolen Valor" guys even tried to find.