Did Capeci give a reason? I mean this is the Bonnano Family we are talking about. They are very weakened and TG is one of the few remaining guys that was around when Rusty ran things and they were a force to be reckoned with. I have a few theories and believe it may be a result of one or more . . .

(1) Mob Wives and Hector Pagan were an utter embarassment, especially after Donny Brasco. They did not want to go through the humiliation and TG was directly involved in all that nonsense.
(2) He is intimately connected to Massino. There was some chatter that even Vinny Gorgeous should never have been considered the official boss because he was tabbed by Big Joey. Perhaps people view TG in a similar light.
(3) He is not completely competent as he is getting up there in years and almost certainly has lived an unleathy life (look at photos of him and even consider his daugter to be evidence of the Graziano family's physical health).
(4) Someone is consolidating power. I do not believe this to be Vinny TV since he always seemed to me to be something of a caretaker. Perhaps Vincent Asaro? People have always thrown his name about as a potential true successor to Massino. With the Gambino family (a historical ally of the Bonnanos) naming Cefalu as their boss and Cali is their underboss, there is a distinct movement back toward Sicilian control and an understated demeanor. As per Capeci a few years ago: "Asaro, a longtime Queens-based gangster is a certified old-school gangster who speaks Italian fluently and is well-respected by the Zips . . . " I am not sure where Asaro was born, but he is highly regarded by not only the Sicilian factions in his own family, but also by members of the Gambino, Genovese and Lucchese brass.

In sum, I have always viewed the Bonnanos (following Joe Bonnano's death) to be a bunch of extremely violent and/or stupid thugs. Rusty was VERY highly regarded, but he has always scared the shit out of me for some reason. I feel as though Massino, Santora, Rabito and TG are all from the same Rastelli-influenced ilk. I don't know enough about Vinny TV to pass judgment, but Asaro seemingly has far more respect and legitimacy. Maybe this is an attempt to clean house.

Just my 2 cents ...

Last edited by ovation32; 01/24/13 03:10 PM.