Here´s an interesting article, with a wire tap transcript of guys discussing Fiumara´s rise to power, found in Herald Statesman March 7, 1979.

"A former federal prosecutor says such was the power and fear of Fiumara that the brother of two men he allegedly killed remained loyal to him. This is the story courtesy of FBI tape recordings, of the making of a godfather. The principals are FBI informant William "Sonny" Montella, black dock union
chief Carol "Junior" Gardner and convicted mob and union figure Thomas Buzzanca.
Montella went to a coffeeshop at International Longshoresmen´s Association head quarters in Manhattan in 1978 to give Gardner a christmas payoff. Gardner, afraid Montella might lie testing his loyalty to Fiumara, who is not cut in on the deal, says I love him cause he was helping me when other people was trying to ---— me around.
Two weeks earlier, Montella and Buzzanca talked about Fiumara, referred to only as "T", over cheesecake at Pontes Restaurant in Manhattan.
Montella: "T" got himself a pretty good job at 36 years old.
Buzzanca: Tino is all right, a little hash, but...
Montella: The only problem with him is that from what I hear he brings a lot of heat surveillance.
Buzzanca: If he does he´s hash. But he´ll change. You have to appreciate the fact that if he wasn't what he was to begin with, he wouldn't have been there at all.
Montella: He's a nice boy but he's dangerous. And that's the problem.
Buzzanca: Well, that's how he got where he is and now you gotta temper that a little bit. You need a proper balance. You need, I think, there's three or four ingredients that make something work if you have two or three wrong, it won't work.
Montella: What's his good points?
Buzzanca: Tino's good points is that everybody fears and respects him. That's a good thing. He has blind devotion I mean if he's with you. If he could go inside with ya, he'll die with ya. His bad points are that, exactly what you told me
before. He doesn't know too much about this dock business so he's easily bullied by (unintelligible).
Later, Buzzanca says, I love Tino and I would do anything in the world (unintelligible). But he points out Fiumara still doesn't have the hang of the dock-crime business.
Buzzanca: I absolutely think, that this guy, aaa.. If he tempers himself he'll be great. 10 years from now. he'll be awesome. What this kid could develop to be. Absolutely awesome. Believe me. Believe me.
Montella: What's that mean, Tom? Awesome?
Buzzanca: He´II have the best of two worlds. Good sense, good judgment plus, which we all live under, fear. Ya need to have that balance. But be fair. And listen to both sides, not one. Not two. Don't have any opinion (Unintelligible) because the money don't mean anything. We´ll make money. We´ll steal it if we have to. But listen to this guy. Don't let somebody come up (unintelligible) ...Ten years from now, you and I will be sitting there sayin' that"

[Linked Image]