Originally Posted By: Lilo
I don't really think there is a viable Mafia family in Detroit proper. Much of that functionality has been overtaken by Chaldeans or by the city and county political structure. The former Detroit mayor is on trial for essentially doing a lot of the same things a mob member would have done-kickbacks on contracts, no-show jobs for family and friends, extortion, etc.

I don't know about other areas but it would be interesting if there were a peer reviewed study about the impact of state lotteries on organized crime bookmaking and gambling games. The only people I know that are even aware of where or how to place a bet are much older people. But just about everyone knows where/how to play the lotto.

Michigan in general has lost a lot of people. I think Michigan was among the few or even only state(s) to do since the last census. The entire state of Michigan has fewer people than the NYC metro area. There just may not be the population density to support a vibrant traditional OC family.

Has kwame kilpatrick been convicted yet. Didn't they try connecting him to some girls murder as well?

Alot of albanian organised crime in the michigan area. But i think alot of the actual drug trade is run by black gangsters. I think that the decrease in population has led to alot of murders between drug gangs fighting over better turf or markets.