Wilson,

What you're failing to consider is that very often these guys create their own rats by mistreating their subordinates and refusing to share the wealth. Now I don't follow modern day Chicago all that closely. I'd rather make quality posts about areas that I'm familiar with (namely New York, New Jersey and South Florida). But this guy Calabrese certainly seems to fit the bill.

Guys like Gambino, Costello and Accardo knew that you had to let the troops eat. And that, while you commanded respect, you never abused your own people. Calabrese abused his own kids. He couldn't scrape a pimple off Tony Accardo's ass.

As far as wiseguys who push their kids into the life: I always bring up Craig Depalma. There ought to be a special section of hell reserved for Greg for what he did to that kid.

It's also worth noting that more often than not, the Genovese guys tend to push their kids away from the life (or at least away from being made). For the smarter guys, the American mob is a single generation means to an end. The end being the education and future of their children.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.