Netflixed Clint Eastwood's latest movie TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE. I liked it. I'm reminded of JACK REACHER actually in that both you sorta knew/guessed what to expect, and you more or less get what you expect. A picture you walk, don't run, to go see.

Which isn't a put down at all, CURVE is also a good execution of a crowd-pleasing formula picture. Clint is vintage Clint with cranky old white guy not able to handle reality (and bullshit) very well. He's in his 80s, and still able to dish out solid entertainments (and sometimes much more), I admire him as a star/producer. Amy Adams as the daughter with daddy issues is great, and Justin Timberlake actually gels well with both as a former pitcher/talent scout.

Interestingly this is a nice reaction/contrast to MONEYBALL where stat nerds dominate the baseball game over the experienced baseball scouts and "traditional wisdom." In CURVE, its reverse with nearly-blind scout Eastwood and his wisdom having to deal with clueless statistician Matthew Lillard who is divorced from reality outside of his computer.

Anyway I talked to my Mother (who saw this in theatres last year)and she remarked that one reason she usually liked Eastwood's movies was that the "jerks" always get their just desserts one way or another. The movie's plot follows Eastwood scouting (or trying at least) this top baseball prospect in the Appalachias, and he's the biggest dickhead diva.

In Eastwood movies, such people always make Eastwood's day. And I must agree with my Mom there. smile

I give this three and half empty chairs out of 5.