Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
That's right DD and tho I am lucky enough, even thru my very worst financial times, thus far, never to have received any government assistance (tho looking back now I probably would have qualified) I do know there is a process to go thru.

It use to be (maybe still is) each month you had to bring proof from potential employers where you applied for work for one thing, AND as far as food stamps, I believe you have to supply bank account info showing a certain amount in your account (or lack of).

I am all for getting rid of (punishing) spongers and moochers of the system. BUT I also am for the very poor, sick, helpless getting help. Why not train and open more jobs in these fields. It's hard for some people to distinguish between the two and they tend to want to punish those in true need. frown

TIS

Yeah, all those things are still in place but much more stringent. When you apply you give permission to the govt to look at your tax returns, bank accounts, and in some cases credit reports, etc to see what you wrote is true. Now they even had computers calling or sending letters to employers where people claimed they looked for a job to actually confirm you did look for a job at that place. Now some states even have you do a drug/urine test. The whole process is actually quite intrusive if I do say so myself, you give the govt the right to get any information they request whenever they request it (you have X number of days to comply) and if you refuse then your benefits are cut off. I know all of this as I worked for the federal govt and learned the ins and outs of these programs.

Many people get frustrated with the level of compliance/documentation that is required that they don't even bother applying/renewing their benefits and just "wing it.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 01/02/13 10:30 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.