Given how things have turned out, I would be shocked to see Boehner retain his speakership. Cantor will take over with the backing of either Ryan, McConnell, or both IMO. I would expect the Heritage foundation to support Cantor in this ouster of Boehner.

I'm hearing the House GOP will attempt to amend the package compromise with $300 billion in spending cuts.

Things are going to get much more interesting.

Here's the Dems plan going forward, not much surprise:

Some Democrats were already thinking out loud about what will follow the collapse of the Senate deal, which they now expect.

If Republicans attempt to offer amendments -- as is expected -- Democrats will oppose a rule to allow that to happen procedurally.

If the GOP then tries to pass an amended bill, "they will have to do it with their own votes," said Rep. James Clyburn, (D- S.C.), a member of the leadership. Either scenario would kill the deal.

If the GOP doesn't offer an up or down vote on the Senate deal, well, that would kill the deal, too.

And then what? "Well, I say that then we wait for the new Congress to come in on Thursday. We'll have better numbers, more members on our side," said Clyburn. "Then we offer a new bill that they will like even less. They didn't like the 450 (thousand dollar in household income) floor on the tax increase? Let's see how much they like it when we push it back down to 250 (thousand)!"

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 01/01/13 08:06 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.