I happened to Netflix the other day the George C. Scott version of 'A Christmas Carol', and of all the countless movies made of that story, that's probably my favorite one.

Why? I suppose I like the stab at mood and atmosphere in the 3rd act when indeed that possible dystopic future is haunted by death and hopelessness. I believe Scott doesn't ham it up as evil Scrooge but instead a more self-aware sense of classyness, which makes him an even bigger dick IMO. Scott facially is able to internalize the conflicting well-buried demons arisen within him.

But maybe most of all, unlike most versions, it doesn't castrate or neuter the political activism of the Dickens book. He wrote it originally as propaganda to shame the rich, the government, and society to quit being so apathetic about the poor and horrendous living conditions for the working class in mid-19th century England. Dickens was furious and hoped his story would be more effective than the political pamphlet he originally was going to pen.

Of course which version people prefer, it probably depends on which one they're most familiar with. The Muppets? Albert Finney? Mickey Mouse? Patrick Stewart? Jim Carrey? Bill Murray?

(speaking of SCROOGED, I would also add Black Adder's pisser parody of the story which you can watch on Netflix Instant.)