Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
My wife and 3 oldest offspring all have brown eyes. The youngest, my little devil Matty has blue eyes like his old man. I have no idea of the significance of all this...i am just glad we all have eyes that work properly cool

Like you, Yogi, I too am among the 8% of the global population sporting baby blues. Scientists theorize that all of us with blue eyes have descended from a single person, who lived 10,000 years ago near the Black Sea. This person was the first to exhibit the genetic mutation that resulted in blue eyes.

This gene doesn't create blue eyes, but blocks or disables the gene which made all of humanity's eyes brown prior to the arrival of our old friend from the Black Sea, who must have been regarded as a freak.

Scientists have an idea when and how blue eyes came into the world, but there are different thories as to why. Some argue that the European climate has been responsible for the deviation of physical characteristics, (eyes, hair color, skin color), which is unique to those, who've descended from early Europeans. Others feel the genetic mutations represent evolution's way of of creating distinguishing physical attributes through mutation for mating and procreation. Features such as blonde or red hair, fair skin and blue eyes emerged as a way to create sexual attraction within the species.

So you and Matty should walk with a lot of pride, Yogi. wink