It's widely acknolwedged by people like Howard Abinsky (sp.) and John Binder that the Outfit stopped using violence after Pendorf and Gambat, as well as the other federal indictments against them that basically saw the leadership decapitated. Not "stopped" but using it only in extreme cases. The example always given is that if you failed to pay a bookie in the past you get your legs broken. These days, they just cut you off.

Pizzaboy is correct, the fact that they haven't committed a murder since 2006 speaks volumes. I suppose you can believe they are still out there breaking arms and legs without it making the news if you want to, but frankly I haven't heard anyone ever say that, even the "pro Outfit" guys on ANP.

I personally have been scouring the news daily, incluing a dedicated feed, on the Outfit for abbout eight years, and I haven't seen anything indicating they are still roughing people up.

The only thing I think you can make a case for is the piece Fosco did on those two guys who he contends may have known Gianchinno. One was found stabbed to death in his apartment, the other missing. He said (if I remember) that he had heard they were pushing pills for GIanchinno. You can read all about it on that site if you want to. There's about a million posts on it.

On the other hand, consider that those two geriatric thieves, Reichel and Scalise, were going to break into Angelo la Pietra's old home under his daughter's nose (I think she's married to Kurt Calabrese) and try to rob it.

Considering what happened to the last people who tried to rob a Chicago mob boss, (infamous Accardo robbing) it's hard to imagine that those guys had any fear of a healthy Outfit, even though La Pietra is long gone.

Food for thought....