Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Originally Posted By: FriedRavioliFarts

NoNos,

I still think there is a lot going on in Chinatown/Bridgeport. Do you ever get down there?

Hi. Yeah I am down there often. This is just a guess but I would guess that for the old rackets of bookmaking etc. that is the last neighborhood in Chicago where it is still going on, if its going on anywhere. That being said, if you read Family Secrets by Jeff Coen there are a few bits that would lead you to believe that some time in the late 90s or early 2000s they just closed up shop. There is one particular passage where it says that they had been extorting a well known business owner for years and finally just went to him and told him he could stop making payments, after decades.

The guy who got banned was talking about Grand Ave. There are only a handful of Italians left over there and just a handful of Italian businesses. I'm sure Lombardo and others own a lot of the property and there is a social club there and perhaps a card game in one of the many abandoned storefronts but the area is still largely run down.

Chinese are huge gamblers so is imagine there is gambling in Chinatown still but, again, without the threat of violence I'm not sure why some Chinese guy would kick up to DiFronzio etc. although I suppose it's possible the Outfit could still have enough clout to protect them/ pay off the cops, particularly in that neighborhood.

I seem to remember that the Family Secrets trial revealed that the owner of Connie's Pizza chains were being shaken down... is that right?

Edit - just found story...

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=40443

Last edited by Mark; 12/09/12 11:35 AM.