We must remember it's not all of DOMA being scrutinized but merely Section 3.

I just don't believe SCOTUS will go full judgment on SSM generally, or even DOMA as a whole maybe, sweeping as many want to believe or mistakenly interpret. Nevermind that the issue is in fluid, with the American mainstream progressively in support. (3 state referendums favoring it last month, and another rejecting a ban on it.) The recently re-elected President, and leader of 1 of the two major political parties, has endorsed it. Over 50% popular support in the last Gallup poll, but still a divisive issue.

(A good example was in Maryland, where it was passed by a squeaker. Numerous counties that went heavily for Romney supported the measure, so even on the local level Republican voters in a blue state (if not their elected officials from their party) support it now.)

If DOMA is struck down, at least from my interpretation of this story, Gay Marriage will stay and continue being a state's rights issue, except a license issued in say New York would be honored in rest of the nation. If DOMA is confirmed, then the status quo continues unless a Congressional bill (or Constitutional Amendment) is passed.

I despise DOMA. If you've read my political rants, you'll probably realize that I do support Equal Rights fully. But besides that, DOMA just rapes and shits upon the whole damn concept of Federalism, when it comes to states respecting each other's laws. No it was a discriminating bill, establishing a "Morality Quarantine" across America. Passed by totaltarian religious fundamentalist bigots, signed into law by a cowardly President Clinton afraid of losing re-election, and unfortunately supported by the public.

I do wonder if Hillary runs for President again in 4 years, will Bubba be forced to give a public mea culpa on DOMA to help Hillary in the primaries?

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 12/08/12 03:05 AM.