Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Years ago, SV, the ice cream in print ads or pictures of sundaes in menus were plastic, because the ice cream melted under the lights.

Absolutely right - as a matter of fact, you just jarred a memory:

In the early days of Johnny Carson's tenure on the Tonight Show, some commercials were done live for the sponsors' products. Ed McMahon was doing an ice cream plug and holding a cone topped with what was purported to be ice cream. After he finished his spiel, Carson walked over to him and suggested that since the ice cream looked so delicious, he (Ed McMahon) should feel free to indulge himself right then and there on live TV. Ed balked. Carson persisted. Ed then had to admit that it wasn't ice cream after all... it was lard! The real stuff, of course, would have liquified under the hot studio lights. (I think a kinescope of this incident still exists somewhere!)

And SC - stick to my ribs?? I'll have you know I'm held together with only the finest duct tape and beer. No glue for me! tongue

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."