Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
...i'm a sucker for pictures, and i got tricked.

Not just you, FF, but probably millions of consumers, generally speaking.

I don't want to stray too much OT, but this is a pet peeve of mine: When we see commercials or print advertisements, food always looks so enticing but rarely (if ever) looks like that on our plate.

The reason?

All companies employ a Food Stylist when preparing their ads. It doesn't matter if it's a McDonald's burger or a fancy Thanksgiving turkey, if it's gonna be photographed or filmed, it's gonna be slaved over, minutely adjusted, primped and preened until it looks like a too-perfect, idealized conception that real life can never equal.

And those Food Stylists make pretty damn good money, too.

I understand there is some sort of law that says, for example, if you are advertising a burger with lettuce, tomato and ketchup in your ad, then what is pictured must actually be a burger with lettuce, tomato and ketchup - no plastic veggies, no acrylic paint standing in for the ketchup, etc. But, of course, there's no law against using super-perfect versions of the ingredients, and presenting them in a super-perfect manner. Hence, the job of the Food Stylist.

An aside: Y'know, I'm not sure about the law regarding print ads, because I seem to remember many years ago that if you saw a photo of someone holding up a spoonful of cereal and milk, chances are that the milk was Elmer's Glue! (Of course, the laws could have changed over the years.)

Anyway, that's my rant for today. Sorry for the thread drift.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."