Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
How JFK in the '60 election lost support of the Catholic Church, but won the Jewish vote.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...catholic_1.html

I know I've told this before, but I can't resist. blush I was only 12 when JFK was running for President and can't say I knew a lot about politics (tho I credit JFK for sparking my interest). I can only say, I was at a Italian/Catholic school and the nuns, priest were thrilled to death to have a Catholic running for President.

You can imagine when we heard JFK would be passing right by the school in his motorcade how jazzed we all were. The entire school (which was only about 100 kids) walked to the corner to greet/cheer JFK. I'll NEVER forget it. We got pretty much up close since it was not a stop, but rather the motorcade driving by, with JFK sitting on top of back seat of an open convertible waving. I was pretty small (and determined) and wormed my way to the front of a not so huge crowd, to get a good look and a wave. smile That memory is so ingrained in my mind. I'll never forget it. smile

I don't dispute RRs article, just sharing my experience. To this day I truly wish I had a picture of that event. I can't believe nobody had a camera. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon