There are alotta good reasons to abolish the Electoral College. I think that some of you are mixing the primaries w/the Electoral College.

Iowa, NH & SC hold alotta sway bc they hold their political primaries early, so they set the pace & number of the candidates. But they hold no extra sway in the Final election outside of their number of electoral votes. BTW, the electoral votes match up to state population & match the number of a State's Congressmen & are appointed by someone at the State level. I never figured out who. As far as the states, it is always winner take all in the electoral college, the apportionment of late is in the primaries not the electoral college. There was a single electoral vote for Reagan in 1976; a renegade vote only.

The states that do control our national election (Ohio, Fl., Penn.) have that sway bc most of the other big states always vote the same way;eg, Texas- Repub., Calif.- Democrat. A Democrats vote in Texas really means nothing as in most of the South. Hence Oh., Fl. etc hold the power they do bc they could go either way.

Would a direct popular vote in Pres'l elections change that? I think so. What other ramifications there maybe I have'nt thought thru yet. I may never do that as everyone forgets this for four years at a time.

Now if you're not confused, plz explain it to me. I'm getting a headache thinking about this stuff.

Last edited by Big Alex; 11/05/12 11:25 AM.

You gonna finish that?