Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: Big Alex
1. How many of these guys are Italian as opposed to Italian-American? It seems from news reports that the Italians are quicker to to go on the lam than their Am. cousins.

2. Why in the world does Cosa Nostra (CN) appear in Court or wait to get pinched when they know they are going down for life or at least 10 or more years? I have never understood that.

Except for a couple the entire list toodoped put up is from italy.

They are tried and convicted in absentia in italy. All they have to do at that point is get captured and that's it.
Guys like Messina are born into their families and that's the life they have. It's nothing like here. He was looking to avenge his father's death and prevent more bloodshed, he killed a cop, he kidnapped that little boy Giuseppe Di Matteo, but it was never about the money.
It's more often than not about revenge, power and honor for their families over money.
Guys in the US won't go on the lam and live in a hole in the floor.

I am not up on this Messina; but what you said about the Americans not living in a hole in the ground I agree with. But what do they think awaits them in US prisons? 23 hours a day locked in an 8X10 concrete cell? Some of the Fed'l facilities are a little nicer and more like Army barracks, still. And State prisons are absolute hell holes: Filthy, trash ridden, broken stuffed plumbing, constant noise, the smell is always there of shit,piss & sweat. Plus, it's always cold. They keep the AC jacked up so the prisoners stay docile. And all the prisoners get to wear is a 100% polyester jump suit often orange (goes w/anything); under wear or sweatshirts is at the discretion of the facility.

Better to slip away to Brazil or Montana or anywhere. But you're right, they wouldn't think of it.

Last edited by Big Alex; 10/27/12 10:36 PM.

You gonna finish that?