Here is a quote from an article about the nick skins tapes where they talk about some of the guys being made:

"Five others, including codefendant Damion Canalichio, were inducted in an earlier ceremony, Licata says, noting that Canalichio was initiated shortly before he went to prison (the “can”) for a drug conviction."

So Joe made him after he was dealing drugs and knowing that he dealt while Joe was boss, acting or not. Damion always dealt in drugs.

Here is your quote

Originally Posted By: southphilly old head
Hey 22 its about time somebody stands up for the gangsters that are just bookmaking and loansharking. YOU ARE WRONG TO THINK THAT THE MONEY THEY MAKE OF THOSE RACKETS BACK UP DRUG DEALS Those who deal drugs are financing their own drug deals and is nothing but profit for them. These wiseguys know that if they get invovled with financing a drug deal that they will get nailed with big time. Lets see the last thing i remember is that the investigation went from 1999 to 2012 and ther are NO DRUGS in this case. Your gona tell me in 13 years not one drug dealer got caught and could rat on a wiseguy and didnt. Know what your talking about before you talk. Im not saying in the past that mob families werent financing drug deals but they did get charged with that crime. NOT IN THIS CASE!! 13 years NOT ONE DRUG CHARGE in this case so get it right

Damion is involved in booking/loansharking and drugs. So he finances using both. He also finances others. Billy McAndrews and Mousie have always worked together. Billy aint gonna rat out Joe and I doubt Billy told anyone that Mousie was financing his drug operation. So my only point is that there was drug dealing going on (whether outright or financing) while Joe was boss whether it is in this case or not. I know it is not. I read the entire indictment and superseding one. For you to say it was wrong of 22 to think that money they make of those rackets back up drug deals is just wrong. Some don’t some do, it’s the way the life it.