Originally Posted By: m2w
in extortions i think they are still big and other groups are little or no involved in it
in the drugs i think in new york theyre still on the top
in new jersey they are very strong i dont know where you read theyre dying over there when 20% of people is italian and 6-7 families active there
i think in the north-east and south florida is still quite strong
at national level i think it's the single strongest organized crime group

Extortions...only within their own community. Other ethnic groups extort their own community.
The Mafia the top guys in NYC when it comes to drugs ? Not by a long shot. Albanians and Chinese have much better connections for heroin, cocaine is much more handled by Hispanics and Blacks, Meth is controlled by Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs,...What's left for the Mafia ?
They may be still strong in New Jersey yes, it was wrong to say their dying over there. But the DeCavalcante family had to deal with a massive blow.
The Mafia isn't strong at all in South Florida. The only city they where strong was Tampa, but there has been no news on them for a long period. Not because of the so called 'secretive' way of doing business. The Tampa mob has always been relatively small and it is said they now have completely fallen in the shadow of other criminal gangs.
The Patriarca family may still be relatively strong, but the strongest in Boston ? I really don't think so. Someone I talked with ( who himself was Italian ) agreed that the Irish are still stronger in Boston than the Italians. Eventhough the Irish themselves aren't major players in the USA anymore.

For some it may be a bitter pill to swallow, but the American Mafia isn't what it used to be anymore. In a lot of areas they are dying, in others they are already dead, in other areas they still are strong ( northeast, Chicago,...). But they have completely lost the almost monopoly position the once had.