Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
It seems some people here are displeased because there are so many "rats" and so many mobsters are being put in prison with their testimony. That doesn't make any sense to me.
If there is no loyalty among criminals, it's a good thing for honest people.
Of course, the fact that informants often get away with their crimes only because they agree to cooperate is a bad thing, I agree with it. But what's the point of hating "rats" NOT because they are CRIMINALS, but because they are INFORMANTS? It's as if you felt pity towards those whom they help to put in jail.

/thread.

The big question...if you were in the position to either spend the rest of your natural life incarcerated, or betray your fellow criminals in order to have the opportunity to be free...what would you do?

Rhetorical question, btw.

This isn't the specific situation for Paciello, but it's ultimately the same question of self-preservation. And any 'civilian' should be happy bad guys got caught. Means to an end.

Someone mentioned that rat-hating might be ok, if you were personally affected (family member, etc) ... that's what you call shifting the blame. "Buuut...buut...my uncle Tony would have been free if that guy didn't tell the cops where the body was! Damn rats!" Give me a break!