Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: antimafia
1. I'm not sure what you are arguing about Gallo's deportation or about his thought process. I think you're making the mistake of interpreting his deportation as a tool he had, at his disposal, that could be shaped or bent to serve him. Gallo's case has a relatively long history. Back in June 2009, one newspaper article mentioned Gallo "is begging the Canadian government not to deport him, and instead 'extend a second welcome,' like the one he received when arriving here from Italy at age nine."

If you're arguing Gallo chose not to fight his deportation any longer because he wanted to be deported as soon as possible on account of his fears for safety, this is still hard to jibe with the filing of a motion to return to Canada five days after being deported. I'm also not entirely sure Gallo had any opportunities left to legally stall his deportation. Are you aware of any further chances he had?

So how do you explain his sudden decision to leave Canada while he had been fighting extradition for years? Then five days later he's filing a motion that he wants to return. Seriously, does that make any sense to you? Days before he left, he was told by the police his life was in danger. To me it's evident one thing had to do with the other.

Sonny:

I have yet to read an article that states Gallo was warned by police days before he left Canada. Every article I've read indicates that when Gallo's parole was suspended in November 2011, he was returned to prison and police offers warned him his life in danger. Let's assume for now your argument is based on a factor other than when Gallo was warned.

Paolo Renda and Rocco Sollecito, who had spent time in prison, were also warned that their lives are in danger. I have this funny feeling that, as a matter of routine, law enforcement warns imprisoned Montreal Mafia members that their lives will be in danger upon their release.

I somehow don't believe Gallo was shocked when he received the warning from police officers. For all we know, this warning may have been laughable to him -- especially if he knows he has nothing to fear because he's remained neutral.

Bear in mind as well this part of the Journal de Montréal article you are no doubt familiar with (see http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2012/01/20120105-061301.html):

Me Gary Martin, un autre avocat de Moreno Gallo, a cependant indiqué au Journal que peu de temps avant Noël, son client a reçu deux décisions défavorables du ministère fédéral de l'Immigration auquel il s'était adressé pour éviter l'expulsion.

«Son sort était scellé. J'ai appris que le premier ministre Harper était personnellement au courant du dossier de M. Gallo et qu'il souhaitait ardemment son départ dans les plus brefs délais», a indiqué Me Martin au Journal.

Yes, Gallo chose voluntary deportation, but he didn't leave Canada till 14 days after he was released. (He could not be deported till he was released from prison.)

Last edited by antimafia; 08/27/12 04:13 PM. Reason: Changed number of days between Gallo's release and deportation from "13" to "14."