Caught THE EXPENDABLES 2, which I actually sorta enjoyed in spite of being borderline disposable. Considerable improvement over the very disapointingly forgettable first EXPENDABLES, the action here is much better executed, especially the opening sequence.

There are good laughs, with Dolph Lundgren actually nearly stealing the show. People who only remember him for Ivan Drago or He-Man will be pleasantly surprised by his comedy talent, but I remember him exhibiting similar charm and humor in B-movies produced back in the day like SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO and I COME IN PEACE. Alot of the meta-references I could've lived without, even if my screening crowd ate them up.

I'll give Van Damme credit, he took a bland villain part and made himself rather interesting in an inexplicable abnormal sort of way with the odd pauses inbetween his mumbled orders and neck crankings, and of course wearing shades in broad daylight. Add his Dutch accent and shitty acting, he stands out. Is this villain on drugs? Is he a lunatic? It's...fascinating, I'll give him that.

Many scenes when something doesn't explode drag, I think the Sly/Van Damme fight goes on too long and kinda boring, contrast with the fun brawl between Jason Statham and DTV action star Scott Adkins, which was too short. (IMO you can't ever go wrong with two guys fighting around a rotating helicopter propeller blade.)

But I'll give this flawed sequel credit, that scene is worth seeing in big screen cinema glory. That shot before the climax when you have the Terminator, Rambo, and John McClaine standing together decked out with weapons ready to go kill many foreign bad guys...tell me that moment, a realized boyhood fantasy for many men, doesn't bring a smile to your face.

I give this ***1/2 out of 5.