Sometimes one wants comfort food (however you define it), and sometimes you know that a good friend needs comfort food and a sympathetic ear.

One of my best friends has been going through some serious shit in his personal and professional life; serious trouble on his job, and a cold, unsupportive wife (aka "The Shrew"). A couple of home-cooked meals at Vitelli's were definitely in order and good for the soul (and the stomach).

Last night: my version of Chicken Scarpariello (with fresh rosemary); spaghetti and my home-made tomato sauce on the side.

Tonight: Asian-style stir-fried shrimp with broccoli, snow peas and scallions with white rice. I flavored the stir-fry with small amounts of light soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and chili garlic paste. In addition, I made a cold sesame wheat noodle dish, which included sesame oil, sesame paste, peanut butter, a little bit of spicy Sichuan noodle sauce, a hint of lemon juice (orange juice would have been better, but I was all out) and thinly sliced scallions.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."