Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Here's a random question about Die Hard 2, which I've seen several times.

Why didn't those planes circling the airport for an hour or two just decide to land at another airport? There are many other airports they could have reached even in the blizzard.

And if it was so easy to get them to land just by Bruce Willis lighting a trail of fuel with a cigarette lighter, why wasn't this done earlier on? Or bring in lights with a generator?

(1) If I remember right, it was set in Christmas season right? I think it's said or assumed that the skies were totally crowded with planes from everywhere going everywhere, and they couldn't just park at say Baltimore because planes meant for those runways were backlogging in coming in and departing, and onwards to either.

It's also convenient plotting, like how Bruce Willis just happens to need to catch the villains great escape and he runs into that news team, who also have their own helicopter at the airport. (Why?)

Not criticism, just commentary.

(2) Probably because the terrorists threatened to down more planes if they knew any such antics were happening.

What keeps coming back to mind for me on DH2 (my least favorite entry of that series), is that climax the idea that Willis triumphs by lighting that leaked gas which then (in movie fashion) and somehow spread from the ground to the leaking liquids falling from the departed plane, which then catch the plane and KABLOOEY.

Thank you. Those points are interesting, especially the news crew.