The big money quiz show scandals of 1958-59 ($64,000 Question, 21, etc.),when contestants like Herb Stempel and Charles Van Doren given the answers to questions to make them look like geniuses,made a big impression on me when I was a youngster. The NY County DA started investigating them via grand juries, but was quickly eclipsed by an obscure House of Representatives subcommittee, which had televised hearings and made global headlines.

Years later, I wondered: On what grounds did the NY DA call a grand jury investigation? It wasn't against the law to present "fiction" on TV--if it were, Hal Holbrook could have been arrested for impersonating Abe Lincoln on one drama. And TV was pervasively regulated by Congress and the FCC. I tried for years to find an answer.

Finally got it in an obscure book, "Prime Time Misdemeanors," by Joe Stone the assistant DA who launched the investigation. I thought NY grand juries were empowered only to return "true bills" (indictments). Turns out the DA also could call grand juries to investigate "any matter or situation that might require new regulations or legislations." Pretty broad charter, IMO. I wonder if other states or counties grant such broad leeway to grand juries?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.