I love scallops! Are "diver scallops" ever treated?

That's one thing I've been learning lately -- "wet" scallops are injected with a sodium tripolyphosphate solution (sounds yummy, right?) to increase shelf life, as well as making them more plump so they can sell you less for more. They also don't brown well because they're artificially packed with water, making them steam.

You want "dry" scallops. "Day boat" scallops (harvested in one day, not out to sea for a week, before returning to port) are usually "dry", tastier and fresher -- so I'd guess that so are diver scallops. The pinkish ones seem to be females (discolored a bit from their roe), which are usually tastier. wink

While I trust most supermarkets for clams and mussels, etc, I'd probably buy scallops from a reputable fish monger. Luckily there's one up the street from me. But quick-frozen works in a pinch.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations