Originally Posted By: Lilo
If I ever were falsely accused of a crime I would want an attorney who did his or her best to defend me in a court of law and require the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. People make fun of attorneys but when you're having the full malevolence of the state directed at you I think most people would quickly sing a different tune.

Notice how you start with the built-in assumption that the one charged (you in this case) is innocent. If you're honest, you have to admit that most who are charged are indeed guilty.

Now, hypothetically, I'd be all for a defense attorney who only takes cases where they truly believe their client is innocent. But how many of those are there?

Originally Posted By: SC
I'm REALLY surprised at this, but beginning to understand that your position comes from misunderstanding. Your dislike of defense attorneys is REALLY a dislike of our justice system. You want to hang anyone arrested for a bad crime. Our government, in its early wisdom, provided that everyone is allowed a good defense and trial before being judged innocent or guilty.

I understand the system find. But the system, as it is, doesn't justify what defense lawyers do for a living - speaking on an individual basis.

Quote:
The truth is these defense attorneys should be applauded for the work they do. They may, in fact, believe their client to be guilty, but the client is still entitled to the best defense he can get.

Yes, let's applaud those who get rapists, murderers, child molesters, gang members, drug dealers, etc. off or with little punishment as possible.

Quote:
Regardless of whether you can understand that, or not, you owe klydon an apology.

Not gonna happen. I'm speaking more about defense lawyers in general anyway. Like I said, I don't know what clientele he has taken on in the past.

What I'm saying may not be popular, because it's an inconvenient fact, but it's a fact nevertheless.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/05/12 08:47 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.