Originally Posted By: BarrettM
From what I can tell Aiuppa was able to intimidate Giordano at certain points, but if anything they answered to Detroit. Any truth behind that Tony? I've been reading the TruTV article and some bio websites.

Barrett - I am not sure about the relationship between Giordano and Auippa. I am not aware of STL answering to Detroit. There are blood relationships between STL and Detroit going back to Prohibition.

I do know that Giordano and Buster Wortman (East Side Boss who answered to the Outfit) managed to get along and cooperate with one another, which caused friction between Vitale and Giordano. The unions were divided among them, and Jimmy Michael's crew.

Art Berne, who succeeded Wortman, and Giordano did not have a good relationship.

Flynn and the Leisures had already killed John Paul Spica (STL made soldier) with a car bomb. Spica was an officer in one of the unions.

As soon as Giordano died, Aiuppa supported Ray Flynn and the Leisures (NOTE - both non Italians) in their bid to take over the unions that was shared by Giordano and Jimmy Michaels. Ron Lawrence and Tim Richards report in their books that Flynn went to Chicago and got the blessing from Auippa to kill Michaels. Michaels was blown up in his car shortly thereafter.

That series of events escalated and just about brought an end to the STL family, the East Side Crew and the Michaels crew.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.