When I was in undergrad school, one of my History profs said that the most brilliant thing the Founding Fathers did was to acknowledge that their work was imperfect and would be subject to interpretation and change in the years ahead. That's why they wrote into the Constitution a process for amending it.

Now, a funny(?) story from my naive youth:

When I was draft-eligible eons ago, I got the peculiar notion that Selective Service violated the 13th Amendment's prohibition of "involuntary servitude." I asked all my lawyer and law student friends and acquaintances about it, not realizing how specialized the practice of law was, or how few lawyers specialize in Constitutional law.

I got some interesting answers: Constitution gives Congress power to raise and maintain standing armies; President is Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces; intent of 13th Amendment was to end "Negro slavery," not to prohibit the draft. I finally figured it out: The Fifth Amendment says you can't be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. Draft had due process: you could appeal your classification or order to report for service to your local draft board, to an appeals board, or to the President. Not that it would have made any difference, but it constituted "due process."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.