Originally Posted By: olivant
DD, given your posts, I'm surprised that you advocate streamling death penalty appeals. The Innocence Project has just nipped the tip of the exoneration iceberg and it only has potential for success when there is DNA evidence available. As I've posted elsewhere, some Board members eschew due process and post rather vitriolic statements to assuage their own feelings.

You are right about Texas. Of the 297 Project exonerations, 46 have been in Texas and a good many of those in Dallas County. Here's the link:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/news/state.php?state=TX

I know a few girls who work at the Innocence project, great organization. I bet a good portion of those 46 people are minorities which are prejudiced by the criminal justice system in the first place (shame). Let me rephrase what I wrote. I dont actively advocate for streamlining the death penalty process cause like I stated above that wont necessarily quell my major concern which is people having the opportunity to bring in other evidence that might have been overlooked, etc to plead their case. I support it in the sense that I dont want millions of dollars in taxpayer money spent on guys like Vinny Gorgeous Basciano dragging/fighting his death penalty trial. The govt already has spent tons more $$$$$ paying for this guys legal bills over (over $3 million) than what they would have paid in total if he was just sentenced to life.

If you want to see a real life/entertaining example of what I am talking about, watch The Hurricane with Denzel Washington. IMO, awesome movie.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 07/27/12 11:47 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.