Carm, i'm not too sure about tripe, peppercorn sauce is another story. i make a pretty good steak au poivre, sounds fancy but its quite simple.this isn't an exact recipe but i will try. this is for two steaks.

buy 2 nicely marbled(specks of fat running through the meat) fillet mignons, around 6oz give or take. not too thick,about an inch. season both sides with salt, and one side heavily with coarsly ground pepper. you can either hand crush your own or use a peppermill but be sure to set it on the biggest grind.

sear the steak pepper side first in a stainless steel pan in a small amount of canola oil, as it has a higher smoke point than olive oil. do not use non-stick for two reasons. #1 since you need the pan to be moderately hot i've found that the teflon can add its own burnt metal flavor,not good. #2 you dont get any fond(brown bits on the bottom of the pan) with a non-stick. this is the base for the sauce.

anyways, sear the steak on both sides browning nicely, but leave them on the rarer side. rest them on a plate to the side. after you pull them out add some finely chopped shallots(around 1/2 tbsp) and sautee quickly, about a minute. next deglaze with about 1/3cup cognac, and have a little bit for yourself smile for me having a drink while im cooking helps me relax and not worry about every little detail and just go with the flow, just like julia child. this step is actually very important as i usually have noticeably better results when relaxed and having a good time, it makes cooking fun and helps to motivate so

be very careful when adding the cognac as it will ignite instantly so you might wanna take it off the heat/open flame for this step. the next step is one of the most important when it comes to pan sauces. using a wooden spoon, scrape up all the little brown bits off the bottom of the pan. this is where your depth of flavor comes from. by this point you are gonna wanna turn your pan down to a low heat and add around 2/3cup of heavy cream and cook gently over low heat for around five minutes until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from scorching. season with salt and i usually add a sprig or two of fresh thyme, but you can also use dried or leave it out completely if you like.

finally return the steaks that you seared off earlier to the pan along with any juices left on the plate to the sauce and cook until the steak reaches your preferred level of doneness. serve with roasted asparagus or any vegetable you like. one thing i forgot to add is that some people like to add mushrooms to the sauce. thats fine so if you want to add them a good mushroom for this would be cremini(baby portobello). simply slice them and sautee in a seperate pan and add them to the sauce at the same time you add your steak, but dont add too many.

like i said this recipe isn't exact, more like a basic overview but others on here can add in thier own twists or ideas.

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 07/27/12 08:46 PM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!