Originally Posted By: NJBoy55
Originally Posted By: AmericanCrime
What about the K&A Gang..Oft overlooked. Particularly active throughout the 1960s-early 1980s. Viable anyway. Wasn't a cohesive group in the beginning. More like a loose confederation. Still noteworthy, tho.

I don't know what to think about the K&A Gang. They were not very known and only had a few guys in their group, not much of a mob organization, just a bunch of Irish thugs from Philly that dabbled in criminal activities together.

Wow I missed your response. A while ago lol...
Yeah I find them to be an enigma due to lack of information on them. It's true they weren't a very hierarchial bunch, especially in the early days. Leadership was a much more horizontal, and it was more of a network of "crew chiefs" involved in mostly burglaries in Northeast Philly which was predominantly Irish at the time (50's & 60s).

They did achieve notoriety though as the perpetrators of the Pottsville Heist and in North Carolina as the Hallmark gang. Didn't really become an organized enterprise until John C. Berkery rose up from the gang to start a meth enterprise with Ray Martorano. Berkery was also schooled by Angelo Bruno, was sort of like a mentor or father figure, from what I read.

Alas, what could be definitively called the K&A Gang died with Berkery's arrest. Altho there's been speculation over the year on who (if anyone) actually run's the Northeast rackets. Here's a thread if any of you are so inclined.
Philadelphia's Irish Mob