Originally Posted By: SilentPartnerz
Ivy is gonna have my head for saying this: but NickyScarfo in response to your assumption that the Detroit family only has a few members left....I wholly disagree. They have had a reduction in size and power, as all of the families have incurred. But the Detroit family is active, and VERY stable. We have had many discussions (arguements) on the RD over the years about this issue. The Detroit families main source of power and stability is having the same boss since 1979 and the fact that most members are related or related by marriage. Ivy..... your up.

I don't know what I can say that I haven't already said dozens of times. It comes down to me looking at certain factors that others choose not to, for whatever reason. So, since we're using different criteria to make a judgement, we'll argue about it indefinitely.

To sum up "my" case:

1. In 1996 (16 years ago now) the family was said to have 29 members. That figure was straight from the FBI and one can read it in print from articles around the time of the GameTax case. Everything that's been said on the internet about the feds not identifying some members at the time, or that new ceremonies have been made since then, are rumor, hearsay, and speculation. I don't know how many members have died during the last 16 years but I know at least 4 have died since 2006.

2. There has been fairly little in the way of mob activity in Detroit in recent years. One somewhat sizable gambling case in 2006 and some more relatively minor stuff. In my opinion, the reason for this is the same reason there's been fairly little mob activity in Buffalo or Kansas City. Not that the Detroit family is especially astute at avoiding detection.

3. Some reports still list Detroit as a viable family. So, if some choose, they have reason to still Detroit so. But there's little reason to claim the family is as large or as active as some claim. Having the same boss for so long, as well as having so many related members, can certainly help to insulate the family. But that doesn't mean they're able to withstand the effects of general attrition or have the resources to expand much beyond the standard bookmaking and loansharking rackets.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.