Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
"Dianetics."

It's basically their Bible, Tis.

Scientologists, well the Church of Scientology* organization, consider all of L. Ron Hubbard's writings to be "the source," infallable final word. Of course this poses problems for the Church as time marched on and the Church have had to white wash some of Hubbard's most questionable opinions from homophobia to anti-semitism to racism (he praised the Apartheid South African government) and other rather embarrasing shit.

Of course whenever the Church make these revisions, they're always announcing that they're "correcting punctuation flaws" found in the original manuscripts. Which is quite an entertaining notion since L. Ron Hubbard made his early living as a popular/respected pulp magazine writer (mostly science fiction unsurprisingly). He was many things from pathological liars to (brilliant) conman to self-proclaimed self-help guru to cult leader, but sloppy with his spell checking? I doubt that.

*=I make that distinction because the Church is like the Vatican meets the Kremlin when it comes to theological dissent. There is a small, fledgling "independent" Scientology movement out there but they're always hounded by the Church's lawyers since everything Hubbard from his writings to his name to his ideas were trademarked and the Church has the lawyers and funds to literally bury all enemies. I bet Rome wished they had trademarked everything Jesus.