http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/tra...ut-at-home.html

Quote:
As soon as Kelly Macdonald, 36, the voice of the Scottish princess Merida in Pixar and Disney’s new animated feature “Brave,” finishes filming a season of the HBO television series “Boardwalk Empire” in New York, she returns to her home city, Glasgow. There, she loves to scout out new restaurants and visit old haunts.
“All the pleasurable beige foods,” she said, “I get them out of my system the first week I’m home.”
Below are edited excerpts from a conversation with Ms. Macdonald about eating in Scotland.
Q: Where should visitors to Glasgow go for traditional Scottish food?

A: I love Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery, one of the oldest restaurants in Glasgow, with dark-wood paneling and tartan upholstery. The menu has all kinds of locally sourced fish like sea trout, sea bream, seared scallops. They do an amazing sole meunière.

I go to Cafezique for Scottish breakfast: sausage, bacon, eggs, baked beans with black pudding, which is basically blood with sausage (it’s delicious, but you don’t want to think about it too much). At chip shops, I love to get potato fritters. You put them in a Scottish morning roll, then add ketchup and butter; we don’t have the highest rate of heart disease in Europe for no reason....

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.