Longtime lurker, first time poster, I thought why not wait to post until their is something I actually have some knowledge about. I live in Baltimore and I run a local crime website.

I've always found the BGF to be exceptionally interesting, especially when all of this news came to light. Baltimore is a city with a long history of snubbing it's nose at Organized Crime, heck up until the past 10 years or so you couldn't even find gangs on the streets of Baltimore, it was all neighborhood crews and drug rings. Even now gangs are still in the minority, with groups like the Bloods and the BGF having the most prominent presence. But despite having a very heavy drug trade, a fairly prominent port, and other amenities that would make it seem like an OC haven, Baltimore's criminal element to this day remains mostly small time hoods.

Their was actually a second set of federal indictments involving the BGF about a year later: http://www.justice.gov/usao/md/Public-Af...illaFamily.html Charging several more with related offences.

What intrigued me the most about the BGF is that they are the closest thing to an actual sophisticated organized crime group this city has seen. They've infiltrated non-profits, and corrupted a bevy of prison guards, and (one could assume cops as well.)

As for Scorsese's question as to who the most powerful gang in MD's prison system is, it's up for debate. It's likely the BGF, but The Bloods, as well as the dark horse gang DMI (Dead Man Inc.) are very prominent. DMI is really one to watch out for. They are a mostly white gang founded only about 10 years ago, and were originally an un-official white off-shoot of the BGF. Eventually DMI expanded to being 10,000 members+ strong, and have a very imposing street presence. DMI Indictment: http://www.justice.gov/usao/md/Public-Af...ingCharges.html

Basically, the only place where gangs hold true power is in the prison system, as the neighborhood drug crew still dominates. I get the feeling though, that in a few years that power is going to change, and street gangs are going to be more of a problem.

The name is forgettable, I hope the posts are not.